Saskatoon Scandinavian Club
Constitution & Bylaws (1998)
(as adopted in 1982)
Bylaws - Revised May 2013
- This club shall be known as the Saskatoon Scandinavian Club.
- To provide social activities for the members, as much as possible in the Scandinavian style.
- Membership in the club shall be open to all Scandinavians and their spouses and anyone else who wishes to experience Scandinavian Culture, upon payment of the prescribed fee and approval of the application by the directors.
- Any member may withdraw from the club at any time by notice to the club, but upon withdrawl the member shall not be entitled to a refund of any portion of the fees paid.
- The membership fees shall be prescribed by the members at the anual general meeting.
- A director is required to be a member of the corporation.
- The number of directors shall be nine, consisting of a president, a vice-president, a secretary-treasurer and six other members.
- The president shall be elected annually, the remainder of the eight directors to be elected for two years, half elected each year. (Secretary & Treasurer are two different people)
- Directors retiring from office shall be deemed to hold office until the conclusion of the meeting at which they retire.
- A retireing director shall be eligible for re-election.
- The club may, by special resolution, remove any director before the expiration of that director's term of office and may elect another person in that directors stead; the person so elected shall retire from office at the same time as the director being replaced would have retired.
- The directors may meet together for the dispatch of business, adjourn and otherwise regulate their meeting as they may determine.
- Notice of a director's meeting shall be given to the directors at least one week prior to the date of the meeting, provided however that the directors may meet on regular dates without notice, or may, by the unanimous consent, meet at any time or place without notice. (however the directors may meet on regular dates without notice, or may by unanimous consent meet at any time or place.)
- A majority of directors personally present shall constitute a quorum for the purpose of a meeting of the directors.
- The president shall preside at all general meetings of the club and at all director's meetings, and shall be ex officio a memeber of all commities
- The vice president shall perform the duties of the president in the president's absence or inability to act.
- The directors shall appoint a vice-president, a secretary-treasurer, and such officers as may be required and shall assign duties to them. (President should be appointed also)
- The anual general meeting of the vlub shall be held at the call of the president not later than the last week of May of each year.
- A special general meeting of the club may be called by the president as and when the president considers it necessary, but the president shall call a special meeting when requested to do so in writing by at least ten members.
- Notice of a general shall be given to the members by means of posters, advertisements, newsletters, or individual notices, as may be decided by the club in a general meeting, or by the directors.
- The order of business shall, when applicable, be as follows:
- Call to order.
- Adoption of previous minutes as read. (could be as circulated)
- Business arising out of previous minutes.
- Reading of correspondance.
- Business arising from correspondance.
- Treasurer's report.
- Reports of officers of committees.
- Election of Directors.
- Appointment of auditor(s).
- New business.
Amendments of Bylaws
- These bylaws may be amended by a two-thirds majority vote at the annual general meeting only, provided notice of motion has been provided to the secretary at least thirty days before the annual general meeting for distribution to the members.
- Admission charges to social functions of the club shall be set by the directors. (Surcharge of $1.00 was previously rescinded)
- The club is a non-profit membership organization incorporated under the "Non-Profit Corporations Act of Saskatchewan".
- The fiscal year end shall be April 30 of each year.
- Any available surplus may, on the descision of the directors be devoted to appropriate cultural activities.
- In accordance with section 199 of the Non-Profit Corporations Act, in the event of dissolution of the club, its property and assets shall, after payment of liabilities, be donated to one or more recognized charitable organizations in Canada. This shall be accomplished by amendment of the Articles of Continuance by the membership in a general meeting.